Thursday, October 11, 2012

HOLY COW!

Since Alex is active duty military and we have insurance provided I have never looked much into how much everything we have done costs. I know that I have gotten blood work and they billed $1100, etc. I have always been thankful for the healthcare that we have(more so now that we are seen off base..no offense to anyone). 

Adalie and I are on Tricare prime so we don't pay anything out of pocket. The rules changed and Keaton is on standard so he can be seen by a civilian doctor. I just checked to see how much the bill from his recent cardiologist appointment was and they billed $3379.00! I know that the insurance company doesn't pay that much, but WOW! In the real world Alex and I would never be able to afford that! My Mom has told me how much she pays monthly, plus deductibles, and then 80/20 and we probably couldn't manage that either!

Finding out that Keaton has a heart condition has put things into perspective for us. Alex and I have talked about him getting out of the Marine Corps. We have great benefits like insurance and a house we would not be able to afford that is 5 minutes from the beach. But with the good comes the bad. It takes a toll on our family and it's a hard and stressful life to live. I am lonely most days and miss our families a lot! It's been hard to make real friends and we don't live by the classiest people. 

The reality now is that Keaton will need to be seen on a regular basis and it's not cheap! There is no guarantee of a job if Alex gets out and no promise of insurance. We have a couple of years to figure it out, but it's scary. I hope things will get easier as we go and maybe I can worry less about all of this! 





No comments:

Post a Comment